Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Be true to your knitting self

Why did I do it?  Why did I start knitting a scarf?  I don't like knitting scarves.  They are long.  And about half way through, I'm done.  I don't want to knit anymore.

Why did I do it?  My very good friend was knitting one.  The pattern looked beautiful!  I thought "I haven't knit one in a long time.  It'd be perfect in those hand painted yarns."

I got half way.  Knitting it was addictive in some ways.  Just one more row.  Oh, let me finish a repeat.  One more?  Soon, it was half way done.  Since then, however, it's been like pulling teeth to get myself to work on it.  And it's lace.  I'm not sure I even like knitting lace, the yarn overs, the knit 2 togethers, the ssk's.  I'll be knitting along and will realize that I forgot to knit 2 together 2 rows ago.  What a pain it is to go back and fix it. Why then (if I don't think I like knitting lace) am I finding more lace projects that I want to knit?  This isn't my first lace project and I don't remember having such difficulties in the past.  Maybe this scarf and me just don't get along well.

The scarf is almost done.  It'll be my last scarf.  For a while.  Until I forget how much I dislike knitting scarves.  There are those who have sss (single sock syndrome) and then there is myself, with hss (half a scarf syndrome).  While I won't be knitting another scarf anytime soon, I probably will knit more lace as it is so lovely.
 

2 comments:

  1. Julie I hate knitting scarves, too. Sometimes I fool myself into starting one and it's a real struggle to finish. I've decided I'll knit cowls and neckwarmers only from now on, if I get the urge to knit a scarf. Small commitment, and I think I'd actually finish it! I'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the cowls and neckwarmers! I've switched over to shawls.... it all started with the Traveling Woman shawl (actually, that's not quite true, I knit a worsted weight shawl that had a ruffle at the end - that one about did me in!). They start out so fast (at least, the top-down ones do!) and by the time I have tons of stitches, I feel so close to finishing, it seems a shame not to keep going and finish. It's working for me! I haven't had a single urge to knit another scarf. Phew!

    ReplyDelete