Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Favorite Socks

My favorite sock pattern is a top down sock with K2P2 ribbing at the top, and then alternating K2P2 rib and plain K rows.  Since I'm a picker, purling is slower than knitting, so a pattern that is mostly knitting gets done faster, but I like the extra stretchiness and shape-holding properties of a rib sock, so this is my compromise.  I love how these socks fit.  I wear a women's size 6 1/2 to 7 shoe (euro size 37-38) and have a wide foot.  Even so, I find that any more than 60 stitches for my sock and they are too loose.  And I always use 2.5mm needles.  My mom knits with 2.75mm (US 2) and I find her socks just a bit too loose for my taste.  Once, my favorite needles (8" metal DPNs) were otherwise occupied and so I used some bamboo 2.5mm needles.  That pair of socks is too loose!  So, from now on, it's got to be 2.5mm, and it's got to be metal.  (And yes, I've tried the Magic Loop and the 2 circular needles methods.  I prefer DPNs.  You are welcome to use your preferred method when you knit.)  Pattern to come....

No comments:

Post a Comment