Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Green Weave Tabi Socks

So, I started knitting a pair of socks for myself, following the Mad Color Weave pattern, when my youngest started talking about how much she missed her tabi socks. One of the socks got lost at a friend's house and that friend's mother said "sorry, we can't find it."

Tabi socks are from Japan and they are socks with a separate big toe, like socks for flip-flops.  My children are very interested (some might say "obsessed") in all things Japanese, loving anime, manga, and dressing up for cos-play in Japanese inspired costumes.   My parents went to Japan last year and my children were thrilled with the presents they came home with: tabi socks and kimonos for all! 

I searched online to purchase new tabi socks for her, but couldn't find anything in her size.  Truly there must be something I'm missing because I can't believe that they aren't exported in greater numbers.  Oh well.  I'd been planning to knit her some new socks anyway, and she says "Could you knit tabi socks?"  Oh, hmm...  hadn't thought about that.  Sure, I can knit up some tabi socks!





Here they are!  Now that they are done, I can get back to knitting my socks using this pattern.  Sock number 1 still in progress....

3 comments: